LEED®–Friendly Website: GE‘s Environmental Information Center (EIC) Now Boasts New Lighting and Electrical Products to Help Attain LEED® Certification
“The lighting and electrical products now listed on the EIC possess inherent LEED certification value,” says Heather Wilson Coode, marketing manager, GE Appliances & Lighting. “Notably, we added new environmentally relevant electrical products to help us lead the charge in environmental excellence. The updated EIC directs visitors to these LEED–friendly products.”
According to the U.S. Green Building Council, the number of LEED-certified buildings will grow from 2006 numbers (4,500 buildings) to 20 times that in 2010 (100,000 buildings).
With information for all trades and its easy navigation, GE's EIC (www.gelighting.com/EIC and www.geelectrical.com/EIC) is a one–stop information gathering and learning center for environmental trends and issues within the lighting and electrical industries. Visitors can find the latest information on energy and environmental policies, including the ENERGY STAR® Building Rating System, LEED Certification, federal and state legislation, environmental and technical reference data including MSDS sheets, TCLP test results, technical white papers, and a subscription option for quarterly environmental newsletters. The site also features tools and calculators such as:
- Picogram Calculator, assisting with determination of mercury for LEED EB certification points per Materials & Resources (all GE 4–foot T8 lamps and all 4–foot T5s are well below the minimum 90 picograms of mercury–per–mean–lumen–hour building average that can achieve a certification point);
- Energy & Environmental Impact Estimator, identifying how reduced energy can impact carbon dioxide emissions and how reduced emissions are equivalent to a specific number of acres of trees planted or equivalent car emission reductions;
- Energy Savings for a Single Motor Installation, calculating centrifugal pumps and fans, including calculations for two speed motors;
- Lighting Toolkit, estimating simple energy, watts per square foot, lighting layout, fixture replacement, dimming system watts, cost of waiting and simple life-cycle;
- AF–600 FP Fan & Pump Drives Calculator, computing energy savings for fan and pump applications.