GE Announces Link Connected LED, an Easy & Affordable Way to Light Up Your Smart Home
Link bulb offers lowest price point for consumers to remotely control lighting from anywhere, anytime through new Wink app
EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio (June 27, 2014)— GE today unveiled Link, a new and affordable connected LED bulb that lets consumers remotely control their home lighting from anywhere in the world and sync with other connected devices. Enabled by the new Wink app, Link eliminates the need for expensive add-ons typically associated with connected devices, making it an easy and cost-effective way for consumers to light up their smart homes.
Starting below $15, the Link connected LED will be available this fall at The Home Depot and at www.homedepot.com.
“We’re giving our DIY shoppers more control and flexibility in their home than ever before,” says Mark Voykovic, Light Bulb Merchant for The Home Depot. “The GE Link connected LED bulb is a simple choice for those wanting to enter the connected home lifestyle for advanced convenience and comfort without breaking the bank.”
Link provides the same high-quality lighting, energy efficiency and long life that consumers expect from the GE brand and is available in three popular lighting applications:
- 60-watt replacement soft white (2700K) LED bulb, or A19 shape, commonly used for general lighting in table and floor lamps.
- Indoor soft white (2700K) floodlight LED, or BR30 shape, installed as downlighting found in dining room, living room or other entertainment spaces.
- Indoor/outdoor-rated bright white (3000K) spotlight LED, or PAR 38, used for outdoor security or spotlight.
“Our very own Thomas Edison built the first commercially viable bulb, and today we’re proud to announce the first commercially viable connected bulb designed for Wink users,” says John Strainic, General Manager, North America Consumer Lighting for GE. “We know the quality of light consumers love and want in their homes, and we’re a brand they trust.”
Initial education of the benefits to a smart home will be key for driving adoption. Running off a connected hub, ZigBee-certified Link LED bulbs help consumers:
- Save money. If you’re gone for the day and realize the kids left the lights on upstairs, now you simply switch off the lights from your smartphone, helping save money on your monthly energy bill.
- Customize. Ultimate flexibility to create a personal lighting experience by easily adjusting brightness settings through the Wink app to create individual themes and environments.
- Vacation smarter. While away from home for an extended period, consumers can turn specific lights on to give the appearance that someone is home.
GE is proud to be a founding partner of Quirky’s and Wink's initiatives to build a smarter home.
About GE Lighting
GE Lighting invents with the vigor of its founder Thomas Edison to develop energy-efficient solutions that change the way people light their world in commercial, industrial, municipal and residential settings. The business employs about 13,000 people in more than 100 countries, and sells products under the reveal® and energy smart® consumer brands, and Evolve™, GTx™, Immersion™, Infusion™, Lumination™, Albeo™ and Tetra® commercial brands, all trademarks of GE. General Electric (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter to build a world that works better. For more information, visit www.gelighting.com.
Wink is one, quick and simple way to connect you and the products you rely on in the home. Wink allows you to confidently interact with and operate many different products – all from an Apple or Android mobile device. Through retail partnerships with The Home Depot and Amazon.com, as well as partnerships with everyday household brands, Wink extends the comfort you have with your home products to the smart technology that runs them. For more information, visit www.Winkapp.com.