Liturgical Lighting: Renovation at Loyola University's Madonna Della Strada Chapel uses GE Lamps to Emphasize Architectural Beauty

CLEVELAND, Ohio — (NYSE: GE)  Loyola University's Madonna della Strada Chapel, originally built in 1939, has undergone a complete interior renovation using GE Appliances & Lighting lighting products. Designers Jim Baney, Giulio Pedota and Miory Kanashiro worked closely with architects and artists to reveal the beauty of the architecture, the frescos and other liturgical symbols. 

Recessed, adjustable luminaires with GE 500-watt PAR56 halogen lamps are clustered discreetly along the ceiling ribs. They are aimed to provide general lighting for the seating area and to illuminate the Stations of the Cross. Similar luminaires positioned on either side of these downlights provide front lighting for the altar.

"GE's PAR 56 halogen lamps were a great choice for the Madonna della Strada Chapel," says Mary Beth Gotti, manager of the GE Lighting & Electrical Institute. "These light sources have dimming capabilities and spread beam options, two crucial components for the chapel's interior lighting requirements."

High-output, 3000-K LED strips with 45-degree optics provide the continuous glow within the altar arches. Located on each side of the transverse arch, track-mounted fixtures with GE 100-watt AR-111 spot lamps provide accent lighting for the tabernacle. An additional cluster of fixtures nested into the column capitals uplights the vaulted ceiling and highlights the ribs. The fixtures include one GE 100-watt HIR™ halogen PAR38 spot lamp in the center, flanked by two 150-watt asymmetrical fixtures.

A preset dimming system offers different lighting scenes that coordinate with the liturgical calendar. Dimming increases halogen lamp life, lowers energy costs and provides warmer color tone options.

This lighting project is among several recognized during the 2007 GE Edison Awards held in May 2008.